"Let's see, for a cough - 'Call doctor in the morning'
For a cough wheeze - 'Call doctor immediately.'" Oh man. So I call.
The night nurse tells me to take her to the emergency room that it sounds like the croup. I am not the clearest thinker in the middle of the night (but really, who is?) and almost said, "Do I have too?" but instead said, "She looks fine though. She is NOW sleeping peacefully in her daddy's lap."
The nurse informs me that it will get worse and I really should take her in now.
So I left Matt with the now feverish Lauren and took Ally the the ER. Now the drive over was interesting. It was snowing and had been snowing for sometime. So I had to dig out the car and then I "rushed" to the hospital at "top speed", about 20 mile per hour. I didn't drive, so much as slip and slide to the ER. It definitely made it an exciting drive over. It is interesting though what you think about in middle of the night emergencies. For instance:
I previously thought that the croup was an old and ancient illness, like polio, that no one got anymore. The only thing I knew about it was that Anne Shirley gave the Barry girl some sort of serum that make her throw up flem. Gross. Hmmm...maybe the emergency room was a good idea.
I also knew that my niece, Lyric, had it a few weeks ago and was in the hospital for a couple days. That is not good.
Well, Ally was very chipper and happy by the time we get to the ER. I told her we were going to see the doctor and she has a crush on her doctor. She was very disappointed that it wasn't her doctor. Apparently cold air helps open the airway. Well she ended up with a breathing treatment and some medicine. We were home by 5:00 am. She should be better in a couple days, but BOY are we tired.



2 comments:
Croup stinks. A good friends' twins came down with it every winter they were young. I'm glad she's feeling better though!!
No fun!!! Our first and only ER visit was with Brinna when she broke/cut her finger...scary...it's no fun to go to the ER...especially when it's for your own child!
Post a Comment