Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Little Red Hen

Warning: This post is an expression of feelings. And I am in no way talking about anyone who reads this blog. And I have a tracker that tells me who you are.

For those who haven't heard, the new church handbook does away with the Activities Committee. So soon Matt and I will have no callings. But what does this mean for all of our wards??? Are there going to be no more ward parties?

As it has been explained to me, the responsibility for ward parties would fall on the Ward Council. So all of the Presidents of the organizations would now share the responsibility to make sure it happens. Whether this means that one organization would be in charge of the entire planning for one per year or if it means one organization would do the decorations and another would do the food, I don't know. I am to go to Ward Council to ask for the same budget I would have if I were keeping the calling and they are going to decide what to do with it later. It should be an interesting meeting.

I've heard a lot of responses so far to this news, but let me tell you what it means to me.

I am happy.

I am ecstatic.

This is the best news I've had all year!!!

I will tell you why. I have never had such a completely thankless calling in my life. Everyone seems to have an opinion of what should happen, but no one wants to help. Since they weren't actually called everyone seemed to think it wasn't their responsibility. I often felt like the little red hen.

When we got the calling this is what different people said to me:
You should do activities with just adults.
You should do activities geared for kids. (I enjoyed this one.)
The Christmas Party should be a dinner.
The Christmas Party should be a breakfast.
The Christmas Part shouldn't involve the children. (Say what??)
We want more things for the teenagers.

I could go on...

Activities Committee is also where they threw the inactive or the new members. Thus I have often heard of wards with 15 people on the committee but four people doing the actual work. Let me tell you that is a frustrating situation to be one of a few doing the work of many.

At first we started with an excellent committee, but as people were taken for other callings, our numbers dwindled. (Or in the case of Jan given 5-6 callings!!!) Many hands make light work, but when it is just a couple families doing all the work and they all have small children it's overwhelming.

My mom had her Bishop in the past told her to plan parties for the Elders Quorum and fundraiser dinners for the Young Woman, with her budget. She was given the task of doing publicity for other organizations activities. It seemed a misuse of power.

My aunt quit the calling because she was told what to plan, in her case a ward camp out. They wanted a 60 year old woman to plan a ward camp out. Doesn't it seem that if the young families want a ward camp out they should contact the Elders Quorum president?

And we have no power because we weren't really an organization. It's horrible. It became just me doing everything. Because who do I ask? Who is willing to help? It isn't that hard, but I can't do it myself.

So I'm thankful that ward parties are now going to fall to the ENTIRE ward. Which is exactly where it should be. Everyone gets to decide what happens and it isn't left to one of two people to guess what the ward needs. I don't have to stress about if my committee is going to leave me hanging. Or if I'm even going to have a committee. Or is rain is going to force us to clean the whole building (I'm looking at you Trunk or Treat.) Don't get me wrong, I loved planning parties, but no one can do it alone. Every other organization has a presidency to help them. And that is all I really needed.

So don't be surprised, if YOU are asked to plan a party. :) Haha!

For now I am planning one last party. Everyone come to the Christmas Brunch! And we need help, because it is only a couple families and we aren't getting anymore. (Although it occurs to me I could be doing more parties depending on what my next calling is.)

IT also occurs to me that a lot of other callings are like this. And I've had plenty of other callings. But this was the hardest one by far.

5 comments:

JAMIE said...

I'd be relieved too. :)

Kerstin said...

I had no idea the calling was so much work, as I had never had it. In my old ward the activities committee was asked by the bishop to plan one activity per month. :(

sarah said...

I'd be ecstatic if I were you too!

Janice said...

I have a hard time just ringing the Sunday School bell on time! Callings are interesting experiences!

Jen said...

Glory in the highest! What a relief for you :)