Monday, April 2, 2012

The Closest I Hope I Ever Get To Homeschooling...

A year and a half ago Lauren was VERY behind in her learning. It terrified me. She qualified for Special Education Services she was so far behind. When she started preschool this year she didn't know her letters, sounds, numbers or anything.

And I think that the preschool is great, but how much greater would it be if I supplemented her schooling. I mean, I used to teach Kindergarten. I know what the standards are. So I cracked my knuckles and went to work.

I started with her letter names. And we went over them three times a week. And within two and a half months she had them! Then I moved on to letter sounds and she got them within two WEEKS! Wow. I can tell she is not quite ready for reading so I shifted my focus to numbers.

This is where we are now. Numbers have been a little harder for her, but we keep working. She can count to ten and now I'm working on quantity with her.

Here she is with her flashcards. She's already put them to order up until 5, and now she is working on the quantity with counting bears.
On to 6-10 in order.
She is now upset I don't have enough counting bears. I have ordered some from The Alphabet Station (who doesn't need more counting bears!) and both of us can hardly wait!

It is hard to see in the pictures, but she REALLY wasn't getting quantity so I put the correct number of dots on the top of the cards and she places the counting bear on it. This has helped so much.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I hope that is the closest you have to get too!

GOOD JOB!

Jenna said...

Super good ideas! And quite inspiring!