Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Carving

This is a Halloween Festivities post. I need to get one this, even though I am tired today. I'm disappointed about that. I've been feeling great for a few days, but back to crappy today. Oh well.

I usually reserve the Sunday or Monday before Halloween for pumpkin carving. This is to keep the rotting at bay until after Halloween.

I am very pleased to say that we didn't buy any pumpkins this year. Nope. Not one. We did however GROW OUR OWN PUMPKINS! How cool is that? In the past I haven't had a lot of pumpkin growing success, but this year we did. (We also grew a miniature watermelon, it was supposed to be full size, but one two inch watermelon almost counts as a second success right?)

So first Ally and Elijah are modeling our homegrown pumpkins. This is before the kids took perminant marker and drew several little faces all over them that only an elf could carve out.
Since we are not elves we wiped the little faces off (with rubbing alcohol) and we started carving away. Elijah is wiping off his pumpkin, I am helping Ally (yes that is Lauren on m lap), Karyn and Brock are helping Lauren (and yes Ally is over next to Brock) and Matt is helping Elijah.

Elijah still working on his pumpkin.

While Brock is doing all the work, Karyn admires him from afar.
This year we actually put in candles. Eerie, I know. Elijah decided to do his own pumpkin in the end. And he did the one on the left all by himself. The one on the right is Matt's solo project.
The one on the left in this picture is Karyn, Brock and "Lauren's" pumpkin. The Awesomely Scary one on the right is mine and Ally's.
The kids liked the candles in the pumpkins. Maybe we should actually do that again next year.

4 comments:

Kerri said...

I love home grown pumpkins. We haven't had any for a couple years and I miss it.

Kerstin said...

Who is Brock?

Kari said...

Brock is Karyn's boyfriend.

Becky said...

That is so neat that you grew your own pumpkins. I think Rees and Mari did that too this year. Great carving skills Elijah! Seriously, that is pretty good for a kid.