Saturday, June 4, 2011

Peaceful Nights

Peaceful nights are something that I not only crave, but have almost forgotten exist. I have not slept well for four years. And I have not slept this year at all. So let me say, I am tired. I am very tired.

I have basically put up with the situation so my children could get enough sleep so they could do well in school. (And then come home to a crazed mother after school.) The situation hasn't exactly been ideal.

Let me tell you my problem(s).

1.) Eden. I love my sweet baby, but she is a comfort nurser. And she takes frequent advantage of my weakened, sleep deprived state to nurse 2, 3, 4 and 5 times a night. In the light of day I know I should tell her no, but in the middle of the night, I just want to do the quickest thing that will make her be quiet. And the kid is a light sleeper. Any little noise wakes her up. We have had her at the foot of our bed because she wakes up so much and when we come in to go to sleep, she wakes up. We come in to change, she wakes up. I come in to fold laundry, she wakes up. The whole situation was not really working for me.

2.) Lauren. She is doing better in the sleep department, but she is still a light sleeper and if she wakes up she has a hard time going back to sleep.

So putting a screaming baby in with her and Ally (Ally sleeps like a log.) is just not a good idea. We would have two awake girls and two awake parents since I can't take care of two children at the same time.


--I have been trying to figure out what to do with the baby. I need her out of my room. I just use the room to much to not have access to it. I'd dearly love to clean it and I don't like how much space the pack n' play takes up.

We have come up with a solution we hope works. We have decided to put her in with Elijah. Elijah who never gets up in the middle of the night and can get back to sleep fairly easily. (I'm not sure if he'll be able to sleep through screaming, but we offered to put him on the couch if he can't.)

So I am going to try this because I have a goal.

I need my baby sleeping through the night and weened by her birthday. Because on her birthday is the Sit N' Chat Retreat. And I really would like some time alone with just my friends. Even if I go and just sleep it will be worth it.

I'm starting to tell the baby "no" when she wants to nurse 10 times a day. She isn't happy. She isn't fond of drinks that involve anything besides nursing. But she's going to have to change her mind, because the wet bar is closing shop.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

good luck! life without sleep is so hard. we're finally to the point where we have pretty good nights, and our youngest just turned 2. it was a long road. :)