Sunday, September 18, 2011

Where Was I?

On September 11th, I was at home in my apartment in Tucson sleeping. I had just found out a couple weeks earlier that I was pregnant. I was also student teaching at the time. I also had a nasty cold. Made worse by the pregnancy. I was woken up that day to a phone call from my mom. She told me to turn on our TV. Someone had flown planes into the World Trade Center.

"On purpose?" I asked.

"People don't accidently fly planes into two different buildings right next to each other." she replied.

True.

I turned on the TV and watched while I got ready for school. And it was incredibly sad to watch. Matt and I slowly figured out that it wasn't debre falling out of the building, but people jumping out. And soon after we started watching, we watched the buildings crumble to the ground. We were speechless. How could that happen? Who would do such a thing? Why would terrorists do this? What are they going to attack next?

I went to school and started to run a fever so they sent me home.

And for three days I sat at home and all that was on TV was horrible sad things. I felt so bad. Matt would come how from work and I would be crying. Nobody but the Home Shopping Network showed their normal programming. I would watch it for a break.

My birthday was a few days later. It was not a pleasant birthday. (Worst Birthday EVER.)

I was worried about my baby with the fever.

I started to get better. The kindergarten students were more upset that the local McDonald's burned down.

A couple weeks later SNL had their first broadcast since it had happened. My favorite moment when Lorne Michaels asked Mayor Rudy Giuliani if it is okay to be funny. His answer made me laugh.

"Why start now?" the Mayor replied straight faced.

A month later someone shot a Sikh man because he wore a turban. They assumed he was a terrorist.

It was horrible. It didn't really start to feel normal until January.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Kari, I hope you have a follow up post... That was just so sad. (: Of course, I guess the whole thing really was sad. I hope your birthday went better this year. Happy Birthday!