Yes, AP Kindergarten. Does such a thing exist, you may ask? I think so, and I think my son is in it. I used to TEACH Kindergarten, so it's not like I'm unknowledgeable on the subject. I know what Kindergarteners should know. We gave out a new book and homework page every week. I haven't taught in six years, but it can't be that different.
So this is what we have to do:
Mandatory: Every week, Elijah reads book and one activity per story. There are always three stories. This week, we had to eat sunflower seeds and look at the moon. These are no big deal.
Mandatory: Every week he gets a new set of sight words to practice writing on a magnadoodle. The has to write all four three or four times a day.
Mandatory: 20 minutes of reading to him, daily.
Mandatory: Letter homework, once a week he gets a new letter. He has to choose an activity to do about the letter. This week: Research Volcanoes, bring research to school and draw a picture of a volcano. Obviously, letter V.
Optional: Once a month he gets a sheet of math activities. He needs to do three a week. I make Matt do this one. I can't watch a baby, a preschooler and have the manipulative's all over the place. Oh yes, this one comes with a bag of manipulative's.
Optional: Everyday he can bring a book home at his reading level, which is a six. He needs to read it two or three times before bringing it back.
We do all of this. This doesn't count extra things and projects. I can't wait until he is done with Kindergarten. I need the break. We are going to transfer schools because we moved. Scera Park, here we come. Hopefully, they can keep up with him.
An Update
1 year ago



5 comments:
crazy.
This is insane!!
So is Elijah not doing the Spanish program? Just curious. That does seem like quite a bit for just Kindergarten!
Cherry Hill combined the immersion and ESL programs (counterintuitive if you ask me) and now there is "too much of a need" to accept kids from outside the area. Bogus.
What? So they are teaching kids to speaking Spanish that already speak Spanish in their homes? Who is that helping?
That will (if not already) be the death of a previously wonderful program...
Post a Comment