Saturday, December 6, 2008

Happy St. Nicholas Day!

Happy what? Yes I know, I know. We totally made up an extra holiday just so we can get more stuff. Yes, that is exactly what we did. St. Nicholas Day is a European holiday. Each country seems to have a different way to celebrate it. But we celebrate it in what I think is the German way. We take our old shoes and leave them *out for St. Nicholas to fill with candy.

*out meaning supposed to be by the fireplace but actually on the coffee table.

The spread after he came.

So how did a nice girl like me get to celebrate a random holiday? Well, you see, I married this guy who is *German. And when we had kids he thought it would be fun is we celebrated this holiday.

*German like born there but still a US citizen.

Being a germaphobic American, I put my own twist on this quaint holiday. Since I couldn't stand the thought of putting the candy in a dirty old shoe, I put the candy in a plastic baggie and set the baggie on the shoe. (Note: The plastic baggies were very small this year. But the kids didn't notice! YAY!) I also reserve that night to put the nativity scenes out. Usually I buy a piece to add to our sets, but we didn't do that this year. They kids were just so excited to see them again. So it didn't matter.

Elijah asked us once why no one else got to have St. Nicholas come to his house. Our reasoning was simple. He only comes to the houses that actually BELIEVE in him. (He has a much easier job than Santa if you ask me. I know a total of five people who celebrate this holiday.)



Apparently Lauren had a bit of a sugar high. Matt said she kept jumping up and down on the Lazy Boy. This is her on her descent. She is having a little too much fun. Hurray for sugar...

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Make that 6 people! We celebrate St. Nicholas Day, too. Our family thinks it's weird because St. Nick is Santa, so no one visits our house on Christmas Eve.
I'm glad you enjoyed the holiday!

denise said...

Your Fisher Price set has shepherds, and so does Christian's mission president's wife..

Ours has wisemen but no shepherds. Is it some sort of expansion thing?

denise said...

P.S: Here is some name trivia: St. Nicolas and Santa Claus are just two versions of the same name. Claus is a Scandinavian nickname/short form for Nicolas..

But that just might confuse Elijah more... Nevermind.

Kari said...

I know. I'm waiting for the moment Elijah learns the song "Jolly Old St. Nicholas" and realizes they are actually the same person.

The Shepard's is an expansion set. Now they've changed it so the Shepard's comes with it and the Wise Men is the Expansion set. I was going to get the Inn at Bethlehem this year but didn't due to financial constraints. Look on the Fisher Price website.

denise said...

It would make more sense for it to come with shepherds instead of wisemen...

It isn't like I am too stressed about it, though. Lyric just puts all of the pieces upside down in the empty flower pot.

princess jen said...

I wanted the Inn at Bethlehem set too, but I decided to pass on it this year as well. Nickolaus spoiled me this year!! 2 tickets to Kooza (the cirque du soleil show in DC). The kids are up in Idaho at Oma's house and they were spoiled rotten as well.