Saturday, December 6, 2008

Lauren Speaks

As a lucky stay-at-home father, I have had the chance to do things I couldn't do as easily while working. For instance, I recently took Ally and Lauren to doctor appointments, mostly alone (Kari came for the first bit, but had to go to work). When the doctor asked about Lauren's vocabulary, to see if her speech development was normal, I could not think of too many words she knew. Brain fart, perhaps. I came up with maybe ten words. The doctor said it was normal to have between 10 and 12 words.

I was disappointed, because I was pretty sure she knew more words than that. I started listening, really listening to her speech. Over the next two weeks, I found she was saying a lot more than Kari or I realized. So the following is a list of her current words that I recognize, and I'm constantly adding to this list, so tomorrow, it may be horribly out of date. The word, as she says it, is first. The real word (if not already obvious), is in parentheses.

Nana (Banana)
Mama
Dada
No
Shh (Shoe)
Key (Kitty)
Kiki (Blanket or pacifier)
Owey (Ally)
Ijah (Elijah)
Caney (Candy)
Doose (Juice)
Mo (More)
Hewo (Hello)
Keenup (Clean up)
Nanigh (Night night)
Aside (Outside)
Papa (Grandpa)
Poopoo
Peepee
Boo
Caca (Cracker)
Tetchu (Thank you)
Mine
Bah-be (Barbie)
I wa mo (I want more)
Buhbye (Bye bye)
Wiguh (The Wiggles)
Goobuh (Boogers)
Tee (Brush teeth)
Khh (Ick)
Go! (Go)
Der go (There you go)
Show (Shower)
Foo (Food)
I See Uh (I see that)
Ma sock (My sock)
Eye Keem (Ice cream)
Bolbol (Ball)
Nose (Nose)

Not only are there nearly 40 words, there are simple sentences, too. My brilliant girl! What was I worried about? I have to say, though, it is very fun to watch her develop her vocabulary so quickly.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I told you she was fine. I was just too tired to count them. It's fun to have you do it for me!

princess jen said...

What a fab vocab. She's beating aaron! I need to update his list again. I did a list about a month or so ago for the special educator (speech intervention) and he wasn't doing too badly. I could only count words he used spontaneously (not see if he could just repeat things back to me) and that made a huge difference in our list!