Sunday, January 11, 2009

Top Ten Things I Learned from The Wiggles

Okay, I know a lot about the Wiggles. We have about 10 DVD's, been to two concerts and have perused many fan sites to learn about the Wiggles for our "children". So I wanted to make a list of every they have taught me.

10. While Fruit Salad is yummy, yummy, Aussie's make it with ingredients that aren't my favorite.

Wiggles Recipe: Apples, Bananas, grapes and melons
My recipe: Cantaloupe, grapes, watermelon (I refuse to put anything in it that turns BROWN over time.)

9. Even the simplest of tunes can tame the savage beast!

Elijah and Lauren have been very difficult children. But we know if we pop in a Wiggles video they are/were mesmerized for the entire length of the video. It's a miracle! I'm serious! Interestingly enough, Ally, who was calm and placid, didn't get mesmerized the way they did.

8. Weird Al and I are not the only ones for whom a Polka is like Heaven. Murray is also among our illustrious ranks.

Hoop-de-do is a fun polka song. I love polkas. (Okay mainly I want to dance the polka.) I even have a whole CD full of polka songs. When I heard Murray say that polkas were like heaven to him, I knew he was my kind of guy!

7. You can truly make a song about anything.

They have songs about counting steps, crossing the street and about the 15 different parties that Dorothy the Dinosaur has had in her five years. Truly, they make songs about ANYTHING. From doctors, bears, ponies, firemen, building walls and pirates; the list could go on and on.

6. If you are willing to make a fool of yourself, you too could be a millionaire.

There's always a catch isn't there? Have you watched Captain Feathersword? The man is hyperactive. He does flips and jumps and in many, many songs he sings in falsetto. He has to have no shame!

5. Aussie's say some words so differently that they are unrecognizable or even sound like different words altogether. ( ie. Squirrel, Marie and Aluminum)

When Murray pronounced "squirrel" at a live concert, the entire audience was dumbfounded. What did he just say? Sqee-ril? Did he just say we have them only in America? What is he talking about? As soon as the song started, we figured out what he meant.

While listening too another song, Murray (again?) and Captain Feathersword introducd it. We all thought Murray was introducing his own wedding. But the song title, proved us wrong. It was actually "Marie's Wedding."

Anyone was some Aluminium Foil? No? Or would you rather have Aluminum foil. Isn't it strange that an "I" can completely change a word. Although, technically, it's us Americans who have it wrong. I guess when the first person who was told the spelling, left the last "I" out.

4. If you are uncomfortable on stage, it is okay to pretend to fall asleep. Hey, if you write a song about it, you can even make MILLIONS if not BILLIONS falling asleep!

I swear Jeff has us all fooled! The man falls a sleep at least once a show and he gets paid excellent money to do so. How did this happen? And why wasn't I around when they were decided who got to "fall asleep"?

3. You can make a character voice, that sounds just like your regular voice and fool your fans!

This may not come as a surprise to you, but Henry the Octopuses voice, is actually JEFF'S! No kidding! It sounds just like Jeff, because it IS Jeff!

2. It is okay to change words of very old songs. Like in "La Cucaracha."

The original actually said marijuana instead of enchilada. I'm glad they changed it. That a discussion I'm not ready for.

1. If an adult knows too much about about the Wiggles, people look at them strangely and may even think of them as "weird". Go figure.

5 comments:

princess jen said...

What a funny list of things you learned. I just had to giggle. Thanks for brightening up my day!

Becky said...

I loved your post. From one Wiggles mom to another! Jacob still says Caw instead of Car and some other funny ones. My favorite is Murray's wedding. But I have to say, I can't stand Sam Wiggle. I want Greg back!!! (:

Kari said...

I am not a Sam fan either. I loved Greg's voice. We haven't even purchased a Sam DVD yet.

denise said...

Hmmm, that reminds me to be self-conscious.

My mother grew up in New Zealand, and says: al-yu-MIN-ium. I combined the American and "Commonwealth" pronunciation as a kid: alu-MIN-ium.

But I never remember which way is "right" and which way is "wrong," so I just go for the less technically correct "tinfoil."

Don't get me started on the word "deluxe."

Karli said...

Dustin loved the Wiggles as well and I would find myself singing their songs all day in my head. I do much prefer the Wiggles to Barney. And we went to a concert once and we all LOVED it. I am actually sad that no one in my house likes the Wiggles anymore....