Saturday, September 27, 2008

For The Love Of Speed...

Um...Racer that is. I think I could have kept my Speed Racer obsession under wraps if it weren't for this darn movie. Wow, what a dream come true for me. I recently bought the movie, for my birthday. What GREAT timing!

My obsession began in high school. I've always been a, wake up at the last minute, kind of a person. But around my sophomore year of high school, I was willing to get up a half an hour early for a cartoon. Speed Racer. And when I say, get up, I mean drag myself from the bed, to the couch. At which point I would lay there in a half daze to watch my show.

Now, over 15 years later, I realize it's not the greatest of shows. But I couldn't get over the plot. Would they ever realize Racer X is Rex Racer (a few things were changed for the movie)? Would someone finally kill Spritle and Chim Chim? Would Trixie always wear such cool 60's clothing? Eventually, they stopped playing Speed Racer and I moved on to bigger and better things (ie. Blue's Clues) But I have always loved Speed Racer. It never went away. For all these years I have had a Hot Wheels Mach 5.

This weekend we let Elijah watch it. He enjoyed it, for the most part. I, myself, have loved Trixie. I love her clothes and the sweet, simpering way she talks. It makes me happy. It shouldn't, but it does. Now after all these years, guess who Elijah tells me I look like. Yep, Horuko Togokahn. The sister of Taejo Togokahn. I laughed and laughed. Here is a picture of the actress. See the resemblence? Despite the fact I am not asian, I could actually see what he was talking about. And her clothes were so fun.For the record, I don't care if the reviewers hated it. It was exactly what I, the cartoon fan wanted. It was still cartoony, and they cast actors the fit the roles extremely well. They improved upon many things, including the cars. These cars are all animated, but they are so cool to watch.

What I don't like about the movie, is Spritle and Chim Chim. But then, I didn't like them in the show either. But Elijah liked them. The part I liked the best with them in it: The Closing Credits. No joke, I love the song they use at the end. Not my usual style but so fun.

I also don't care if everyone else hates it. I think it is one of my top five favorite movies. If I am the only one who likes it, I can live with that.

Matt, understanding my obsession, bought me a large collectable, Mach 5. It is in my bedroom, still in the box. I'm wierd, I know it. Doesn't everyone have SOMETHING from their youth? It's just that mine is Speed Racer. If I had the money, I'd get costumes of Trixie and Speed for Halloween. How about it honey? There's an idea! That would be fantabulous! (The key here is, is he THIS understanding?)

2 comments:

princess jen said...

My sister got the movie from Redbox this week and she loved it. And so did 2 of her kids (the baby didn't much care one way or the other). So you're not the only one! I have to admit that I'm not seeking it out... BUT I'm glad that it makes you super happy!

mathoni said...

I don't know if Kari realizes it, but I really liked the movie (I've watched it four times now, plus all the times I watched clips on my computer while trying to edit it for Elijah).

Kari is somewhat vindicated. It has been doing well so far in DVD and Blu Ray sales. On IMDB, people are posting comments about how much they regret waiting to rent it, because really, it is much better on the big screen. Now, if only I had watched it on IMAX.