Tuesday, May 13, 2008

How to Have a Happy Family

I am really grateful for how my parents raised me. I never felt like we had to go out and earn a bunch of money, or pick a career based on what a doctor/lawyer/teacher made. My parents always told us that they don't care what we did as long as we were happy. We were all four very smart, so we could be anything we wanted. If you pick a career you love, you can find away for it to make a living for you. Just make sure you are the best at what you do. But the biggest mistake people do it pick something just because they can make a ton of money and assume those who choose something involving a trade school are not smart. My favorite quote from my dad, "If you want to be a garbage man, you have our support. As long as it is what you want to do, you love doing it and you are the best garbage man." Now we never wanted to be a garbage men/women, but it has been interesting to see what we have all become.

--Kerstin is an audiologist and after years of schooling is a great audiologist. She works with little babies and gets to test them. It sounds really fun, if a little sad at times. And best of all she loves it.
--I became a teacher. And while I only taught a couple years, I loved every minute of it.
--Heather is a cosmotologist and I think she is incredible at it. She was smarter than me and picked something that is very practical. Sure I could teach my kids, but I don't really want too. She has also taught me that cutting hair is not as easy as I was led to believe.
--Christian is a shop teacher...okay just kidding. He is on his way to get his masters in Information Technology. And he loves it. I find it very fascinating and he has gained a lot of knowledge that is very impressive.

I think all my siblings did a great job finding what would make them happy. The fate worse than death in my family is to be forced don't something for 30 years that doesn't satisfy you. I plan to go back and work eventually. I love it and I feel it makes me a better mom.
Now just in case anyone is worried I am talking about them, I'm not. This life lesson just popped in my head and I think my parents way is the best way. None of us ever felt and pressure to make tons of money. Of course I looked for the same things in a spouse. Matt did this really well too. I have always told him the same thing, I don't care what you do to earn money, I most importantly want you to be happy and second, I just want to be able to pay the bills. While people don't understand why he likes don't what he is doing, it is enough for me that he does love it. I think our lives will be much better because he is happy.

5 comments:

Christian Olson said...

This is one of the best posts on any blog I've ever read. Thanks for sharing.

Kari said...

Glad you liked it. Christian, I think you are awesome.

Christian Olson said...

Thanks.. I think I'm awesome too.

Christian Olson said...

J/K You're not so bad yourself sis.

Kari said...

Thanks, I tell myself that in the mirror everyday.