I didn't think I could get mad when someone gets upset at my kids. I'm usually very calm. This happens a lot. Someone else always thinks they know how to raise my child better than I do. They are always wrong, but thanks for trying. Well yesterday I saw red.
A neighbor boy in my parents ward came over to play with some boys that Elijah was playing with right then. The boys go out to play, including Elijah. About five minutes later Elijah comes back crying. Apparently the neighbor boy told him, "My mom doesn't like you because you aren't a good example and I can't play with you." And Elijah was crushed. I was stunned at first, then livid. I took Elijah back to my parents house and I won't tell you the exact conversation, but the words, "hypocrites, mean, know-it-all's, and holier than thou" came into the conversation about the boys family. Also, the need to take care of their own before they before they advise others. I also told him, THIS is why we moved from the neighborhood and that family was no big loss. I never liked them anyway.
To make matters worse the twin girls across the street started making fun of him right after that, which started another tirade. Stupid Andelin's. Think they know everything. I'm still really mad. I would never want any child like ANY of these families kids. This reminds me of my childhood all over again. I'm glad we moved, people aren't like this in our new neighborhood. They're, you know, NORMAL.
An Update
1 year ago



5 comments:
Well, we moved because your parents were ready for us to go, too. And we could finally afford a house. But yea. I wanted out of the ward, too. That's not to say there aren't good people in the ward, but I like our new ward better.
Well there are somethings I really like about my home ward. But the patriarchal family is at the bottom of the list. With some exceptions of course.
Those kinds of statements always crack me up a little. Naturally, the statement itself infers more about the parent than the kid (ie. that you're not a good parent), but i think that it really says more about the parent who initially told their kid that. So you're saying that for the rest of your kid's life, you'll be able to control who he hangs out with or the type of kids he'll interact with at school, etc. Of course your kid in the course of regular activites will have to interact with people who have different values, different beliefs, different interests, attention spans, and even amounts of energy, i think that the parent that can't teach their kid how to act, etc. around those kids is the bad parent and ultimately their child will be much worse off for it. i also have to say that i think this attitude is a very "utah mormon" thing. I see it all the time, even in our neighborhood, and it disgusts me. Something about a millstone being hung around someone's neck comes to mind whenever anyone treats a child poorly. Which reminds me, i guess i should be nicer too.
How frustrating. It's always so easy to point out the negative in other people. One of the best quotes I've heard is something along the lines of "In every person we meet, we see a gross characterization of ourselves." I use this to remind me of my behaviors whenever I find someone's actions annoying.
So true. He can't stand this kid now. But he wants me to tell him whats wrong with his family. We have had a few conversations about that. Just because they are disgusting, doesn't mean I want to hurt their feelings like they did. I am hoping I am saying the right things.
Post a Comment