Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Family Reunions

Every two years, my husbands family gets together for a few days for a chance to be together. I swear, i it weren't for these reunion's some of us, okay, mainly us, would never see each other. It is always fun to give the kids a chance to get together with their cousins they rarely see and for a four day bond, that will hopefully strengthen over the years? Elijah and Lauren were born during "child heavy" years. Elijah has three other kids his age and Lauren was born in the middle of the biggest baby boom the Rutherford's had ever seen. Everyone who could have a baby, did have a baby and there was even a set of TWINS! (That thankfully was not me.) That is seven babies total. Not to mention all the other kids. There were somewhere of about 35 people. Most of which were children. A bigger setup for a nightmare I can't think of. It turned out better than I imagined it would.

So this year we got together with all of these babies and children, because we are nuts, er...were excited to see each other. At times it was impossible to walk anywhere, for fear of being tripped by a little tyke. But we managed.

This here is Lauren and Matt's, Grandma Jeanne. She was thoroughly enchanted with Lauren and told us how smart and intelligent our baby is. We just beamed, because well, what could we say? She was a smart lady herself. They are playing "This little Piggy" and Lauren loved it. She counted the toes herself the second time.

My favorite Lauren story during the reunion. The Rutherford's were singing. (I know, I know. We have a family reunion and we SING?!?! As a kid, we played Hide and Seek. Rutherford's are apparently a different breed than me. That is what they like to do. So I try it until my voice gives.) But Lauren, likes to join in. She brings over a children's chair and sets it between Grandma Jeanne and me. The sits and "lalalala's" for a few minutes and then toddles off. Someone attempted to put the chair away a few minutes later, and she comes running over, SCREAMING. She makes him put the chair back and sits in it, glaring at the poor kid the whole time. Then she started rocking to the music and "lalalala'ing " again.
Ally didn't really have any little girls her age. But being Ally, and totally adaptable, she played with everyone for a little while. Also being true to form, she fell asleep during a drive. Somehow, this time, she fell asleep in a box of Rice Krispie Treats. It does make one wonder how many she had eaten of these.

"Favorite" Ally Story: Well, more like most memorable. My calm and placid Ally turned into Rosemary's Baby during the family pictures. She was running away and SCREAMING her head off. It was horrible and I was getting a little ticked. I asked, "What is wrong Ally?." She would quickly reply, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. AHHHHHHHHH." We took the pictures quickly and she screamed through them All. So the problem turned out to be, she wanted to go get the chapstick she dropped. Mommy was very ticked.

Elijah ran around with a pack of little boys. They always seemed to be outside doing something. It was very cute. He also got to play an XBOX the first time. There was some game where you crash into stuff in a car and attract police attention. Then you run away from the cops. They assured me it was rated E, but, I was very dubious that it was.

This picture is of Elijah and Grandpa Rutherford on the Heber Creeper. It was exactly what I expected. A long and slow train ride. Slightly on the over-priced side. But Elijah loved it and was very excited about it. They are pouring over the map the railroad provided. During the train ride Elijah came up and told me there was something hard in the back of his mouth. I peered in and discovered a new molar. So apparently children get six year old molars? I was taken by surprise.

We stayed in a cabin. It was fun and nice. We got a room with a King size bed. Poor Karyn got a room with a futon and a computer. So not only wasn't she sleeping well, but people were banging down the door in the morning to wake her up get at the computer. On the second day a group of them decided to play games in that room, using the futon as a table. I guess a HUGE spider climbed across Ryan. *gag* He stomped it and them they started taking PICTURES.

Here is the picture. Apparently it was about four inches. Look at it! It has HAIR. Needless to say, Karyn came home with us the next day. I'm so glad I never saw it.

Here is a random picture of Lauren. She appears to be doing the splits? It just cracked me up.

The next reunion isn't for two years. This one should be in Oregon. It could be a lot of fun. As long as we don't get in trouble again.

4 comments:

princess jen said...

So everyone was mad at you and you didn't know why? That stinks!! I haven't seen the pictures yet. I don't think Alan has taken them off the camera yet.

Alan J said...

They were probably mad about your choice of photographer. Can't really blame them, can you? Looking forward to swimming on Friday? i know i am.

Kari said...

That could be the reason. Who really knows?

Wait this your subtle way of confirming you are going swimming?

mathoni said...

The spider was the best part. We had fun and people got along, for the most part, so I can chalk it up as a successful reunion. Perfect? Hardly, but no reunion is ever going to be perfect. But I got to see my crazy family, and that was good.