Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Long Time Coming

I sit here, a completely satisfied person. Not only is my belly fun (okay at this point I noticed the type-o, but it is so funny, I'm keeping it), but it is full of completely delicious food. You see, a day has come to Utah that I NEVER thought would come. Today, while still in Utah, I ate at El Pollo Loco!

There is a new one that opened up in American Fork, by the Costco. Today, we took the family to partake of the fine refreshment. Now if you are a Native Californian (or at least a Native Southern Californian) like me, you know how awesome El Pollo Loco is, but you get to take it for granted because there is one on every corner. But when the Natives move (to Utah, Arizona or Nevada) they bring their favorite's with them. We had previously gotten Carl's Jr., Baja Fresh and Rubio's, but now El Pollo Loco. How exciting!

So today I basked in the roasted chicken, the pinto and black beans, the tortillas and the salsas. There was even the Strawberry Fanta!!! There were also long lines, but that did not stop us! It even tasted better in Utah! Usually when we go to California we combine it with dental trips (my Uncle and Cousin are the best dentists in the whole world and make the drive worth it.) There is an El Pollo Loco near their office so we usually head over after our appointments. So in the past I have tasted it with a numb and sore mouth that could barely chew. I had no such problems today. Hurray! This is the best thing that has happened all week! All month even! (I've had a bad month, so sue me.) My mom even got in on the fun. They built it and the former Californians flocked!

Anyone want to go?

8 comments:

JAMIE said...

Ya know, I grew up in San Diego, born and raised, and never once do I remember hearing someone say, "I love El Pollo Loco", as a matter of fact, I think I may have been there once as a kid.

I've gone back as an adult, and I don't love it. I have a good friend in Santaquin that rants and raves about EPL, but she's from LA, maybe it's better up there.

Now Alberto's, that is something to rave about, but it's *real* Mexican food, and you can't really get it elsewhere, it's just huge in San Diego. :) Betos is about as close as you can get, here in Utah.

But for all of you crazy El Pollo Loco lovers, I am glad you are getting your fix. There's also an In and Out in St George now. :)

Kari said...

Weird about the In and Out. I need to travel more. I knew as I was writing it, some people just weren't going to like EPL. I feel very similar about Boston Market, but I a lot of people hate that too. I'm not really a Beto's fan. But I have IBS also and the two don't mix well.

JAMIE said...

Do people really like Boston Market? heh. It went out of business here in Orem. I really loved Kenny Roger's Roasters when it was here...now that was good! :)

Alan J said...

i'll check it out, sounds interesting. But i'm sure it won't compare to In 'n Out. And St. George is two hours closer than Vegas. Granted, i haven't reached the point where i've driven down to St. George just to go to In 'n Out. By the way, how exactly does ont go about getting a "fun belly".

princess jen said...

Hmmm....maybe we will have to try it.

Kari said...

Jamie, I LOVED Kenny Rogers Roaster, but that went out of business completely. Boston Market was just taken out of Utah. I reverted to Boston Market when Kenny Rogers went out. I liked their salads better. But I need my chicken fix.

Kari said...

Alan, LOL. I just noticed the fun belly. You just wish your belly could be as fun as mine. You both should try it. It combines my two favorite things. Mexican Food and Roasted chicken. Yum.

In N' Out is a hamburger joint. You can't compare them! (Speaking of which, my In N' Out shirts are over 10 years old. I need to get a new one.)

mathoni said...

Kari's had low expectations for this month, but I can attest that El Pollo Loco is at the top of her list, and would be, even if this had been December. Heck, this probably is her Christmas in July.