I think I have figured out why Elijah cries when he comes out of school. Monday was actually very pleasant, but yesterday! Oh boy. I picked him up and he was sobbing. He said his head hurt. I told him he was probably thirsty and took him to my moms house of gave him water and a Popsicle. He only ate the Popsicle, but he seemed better so I took my Mom to the MTC. (She wanted me to go take her there.)
After we left the MTC, I started driving to my house. He started sobbing uncontrollably and said his head hurt. Then he said is throat hurt. Then he said his LEGS hurt. I felt him and he felt hot so I was trying to get home quickly to give him some Tylenol. Before we could get home, he said he had to go to the bathroom really, really bad and then immediately peed in his pants. I was shocked and a bit scared. This behavior is so unlike him and it was getting worse by the second! I get him home, change him and give him Tylenol. Then I call the nurse. I told her the symptoms and asked her what should I do. She said he is mildly dehydrated and it sounds like he has heat stroke.
I gave him a bath and made him drink lots of fluids and he was better with in the hour. I had taken his temperature and he had a "fever" of 100.9. Today I took him to school and told them what happened. So now he had a bottle of water at his desk.
An Update
1 year ago



11 comments:
Wow! How long is recess? And is he just running and playing non stop?
Dont you let your kids drink?
Scary!! I'm glad he's okay.
Shoot, I knew I was forgetting something. Note to self: Allow children to drink water.
He doesn't think to drink water. I think recess is just 15 minutes, but he needs to remember to drink water.
I bet if he is out on a blacktop or something that he just overheats so fast! Poor guy.
And, Kari, really, denying water? Now that is just too low. (;
I really am going to stick with that you dont let your kids drink water. I did live with you. :)
I think the amount of cups I wash disproves that I don't give them drinks, unless they aren't drinking all the liquid I give them... who knows, I would have to pay attention to my children to know.
Great. So that's what I have to look forward to with Kindergarten. Seriously though, scary. I'll be on the look out next week when he leaves me for-e-ver.
I am sorry. That is scary. Glad you got it under control.
ok ok you win....you let your kids drink...:)
I'll have to remember that with Jackson. It is so hot here and he always feels like he has to ask me to get a drink of water. So he hardly drinks any. Glad you figured out the problem though, so you could prevent it from happening again.
Post a Comment