Friday we went to Timpanogos Cave. I actually find this hike somewhat deceptive. What looks like a nice simple hike with a nice, simple paved trail, turns out to be a bit harder than expected. This is our second time doing this hike with the kids. So we knew what to expect. I was worried about Ally walking it, since she will barely walk across the street, but we bribed her with candy all along the way.
Another note: I have asthma. But I think it is called "sports induced." So in humid climates, extremely hot weather, high altitude and a lot of physical activity, I tend to sound like I'm dying. In the case of this hike, it was all four. So I sounded horrible and couldn't catch my breath. But I am actually not physically tired, I'm just not getting enough oxygen. But I love to hike. So I keep doing it.
This first picture is of me and Elijah. I am of course gasping for air and Elijah is talking my ear off. I asked him nicely to talk less so I didn't have to answer his questions. I am also carrying the water for the group. On the way down though, I answered all of his stored up questions.

Karyn and Ally hiking together. Ally did great! She hiked the whole time. In this picture she is even carrying her water. I think I am going to get the kids camel packs. I didn't like carrying all the water.

Matt and Lauren. Matt had the hard job, carrying the baby. She did really well on the way up.

See? What an angel! She doesn't cause any trouble!

Karyn and Ally at the bathrooms at the top.

We took the cave tour. It was right through Lauren's nap. You also notice we are in sweaters. The cave is 43 degrees year round. So it is nice to carry up jackets. (Except for the fact you have to carry them up.) Lauren spent about half of the tour screaming because she was tired. This is a rare moment when she was snuggling up to me. The other half of the tour she wanted down and was squirming in my, or Matt's or Karyn's arms.

Elijah and Mommy on the way down. This was much easier. Just hard on the toes. I am actually standing upright in this picture because my lungs are doing great at this point. You know, I have a lot of weird health problems. I should stop talking about them. Everyone's going to think I am falling apart.

On the way down Lauren fell asleep. This is how Lauren spent the last 45 minutes of the hike. (Doesn't Matt look hot in this picture? Just ignore the baby.)

Ally started to cry on the way back to the car. I thought that was perfect timing. She fell asleep and woke up when we got to El Pollo Loco. Mmmmm....El Pollo Loco.
6 comments:
A very good and successful hike, if I do say so myself. I'm a bit sore, but not in any bad ways. You didn't get any shots of my shorts, which got dirty with Ally's shoes. The last half of the cave tour, I was holding her. With the wet cave floor, her shoes were muddy. I looked pretty dirty by the end. Oh, well.
I'm glad that you guys had fun! Sorry the backpack thing didn't work out. But I'm glad that Ally did well the whole time. We'll have to take Anya down there. I haven't been since I was pregnant with her. What a hike--October and I think I was 7 months along.
It looks like so much fun! We haven't done that hike yet, but I have the same asthma problem you do! It doesn't make hiking or biking much fun when you can't breath, but that never stops me either. :)
Looks like fun! I have lived in UT my whole life and still haven't attempted Timp Cave silly I know. Maybe when Ryker is a bit older.
Glad you had fun, I have sports induced asthma too! NO fun huh! LOVE DA HAT! Missed you at the retreat!
I love that hat. I have had it since I was 18, so it looks a little worse for wear. I used to exercise constantly to get rid of the breathing problem, but it never worked. But boy was I in great shape!
I really recommend it, but it not a hike that is a stroll up a mountain. I love it, but it might not be for everyone. So fun.
We are holding the kids hands in all the pictures because there are extreme drop offs at some points. A little girl fell off last summer and a man died trying to rescue her. So I made them stay on the inside, holding someones hand the whole time. Annoying with the switchbacks. But I didn't want them to get hurt.
what a fun activity, even with the asthma! :) Easy for me to say, right?
I'm so impressed that Elijah was standing by you and even holding your hand. I always fear Ethan jumping off a cliff in his excitement...LOL
Lauren is a doll, I just light up each time I see her.
Post a Comment