Saturday, August 2, 2008

Color Me Mine

I took Elijah and Ally to Color Me Mine. If you don't know what that is, it is one of those places where you can paint bowls and plates and they will fire them in a kelm for you. I left Lauren at home because taking her would have been like taking a bull into a china shop. Or most literally, taking a toddler in a shop filled with breakable objects and paint. NO THANKS! My VT Companion and I went with some girls we VT. For those who knew them, my companion is Auraleen Sprecken and we visit teach Ashleigh and Kiri Simmons. We were going to celebrate Kiri's 21st birthday. I didn't make anything though. I helped my kids each make one. It was fun. I would like to go back sometime and make one just for me.

I got a little involved and didn't take pictures until the paint was done. But here are pictures of us at the table. You can see Ally's bowl in front of her. Just a note, on the 24th, the digital display of our camera broke. So we can still take pictures, but alas, we have to take them the old fashioned way. So I didn't know if these turned out until, well, just now.

Elijah, Ally, Auraleen and Kiri. Painting away.

Elijah. He's probably talking in this picture. I think he was asking me for a drink. And I was saying (over and over) that there were no drinks unless I had $1.50 in change, to get one out of the vending machine. Which I didn't.
Ally and Auraleen. Ally proceeded, at the finish of the painting, to put her fingers in the paint. She was finger painting the bowl the next time I turned around. Now I have let my children paint at much as they want, but they tend to mix the colors all together and I end up with a bunch of brown paintings. Somehow, I felt that if we were painting pottery, I wanted it to be the color they chose. So I helped them a lot to control their urges and put one color per spot. I think they turned out okay.
Auraleen was nice enough to take a picture with me in it. You can also see the side/back of Ashleigh's head. We had to leave early, but Ashleigh said they stayed for over an hour after we left. To be perfectly honest, I would have taken my time too.
Today I went and picked up the pottery and the kids did awesome. They were so excited when I showed them. They love their bowls.

11 comments:

princess jen said...

I've read about places like that in magazines. I never really looked into seeing if there was something local or not. I know Anya would love that. But part of me doesn't want one more thing in my house!

Kari said...

That is one of the reason's I didn't do one. But if I could go just me, I would totally do a big bowl or something. Or a plate. They had all kinds of things to choose from. I am encouraging my children to give theirs away. So far that plan is a wash though.

Mika said...

I have always thought that looked like fun! However, since my hubby and I both took pottery classes in college, we have enough around the house to last a life time. :)

leslie jo said...

I love that place you can make cute stuff. That was nice of you to take Kiri and Ash that is fun stuff! You will have to take pics of the finished products and post. Sorry about the camera brakeage

Alan J said...

so do they help you actually make whatever it is you want, or just paint it? If i could make something, i'd totally do it.

Kari said...

You just paint it. There is quite a bit to choose from though.

Christian Olson said...

So, Kari. You haven't posting in about forever. Are still alive?

Christian Olson said...

You haven't posting? What on earth does that mean?

Kari said...

I've been busy. I am composing one, but need some time to finish...

okay, I've been reading vampire books.

Christian Olson said...

-10 points for being addicted to the Stephanie Meyer series

Kari said...

Ah-HA!!! I am NOT addicted to Stephanie Meyer. I am reading a book by Robin McKinley about Vampires! (Really strange timing actually.)