Saturday, August 23, 2008

Brushed by Fame

When I went to my last Primary meeting, the president had the new members of the group introduce themselves and say a way they were brushed by fame. Most could not think of a single story. I was not a new member of the group so I said nothing, but it was a good thing. I was suddenly confused. Did they mean a way I have been famous or a time when I met or stood next to someone famous? For weeks, WEEKS, I have thought about this and have a list for myself. I was telling Matt about my list and he suggested I should write it down. So you all get to hear my lame ways I was "brushed by fame."

Times when I was "famous":
1.) At the age of three my parents were approached by a child agent in California. He really wanted to represent their daughter, Kari for commercials and film roles he could get for her. My parents told him to go away and they moved to Utah soon after.

2.) At 9 or 10ish my two younger siblings and I appeared in a lame-o local KBYU Kids Club commercial. I was known for YEARS as the girl in that commercial and in Junior High, that is pretty awful. I was also in several of the 4th of July parades for KBYU around this time period. Christian and Heather got to ride in the car, I had to walk.

3.) In college my friend Angela and I spent a year sweeping the basketball floor at half time. I wouldn't have thought you could become famous for being a custodian, but people would yell our names!!! Ask Angela, it was funny. I don't know how they knew our names, actually.

Times I "met" famous people:
1.) This is tough. I have hung out and worked around so many athletes I couldn't even begin to tell you all their names. I have spoken to, several times, many BYU couches and basketball players, including Roger Reid and Steve Cleveland. I don't remember the athletes names anymore.

While working with my dad doing TV shoots I occupied the same space of many athletes on the side lines, but I have no idea who they were because they were WAY bigger than me. It's a little intimidating. So I will just say, I have met a lot of athletes and leave it at that.

2.) During TV shoots when I was a child, my dad would bring me to some. Since I am such an old music freak and always have been, he took me to a concert at Osmond studios where I met Peter Noone (Hermin's Hermits), Brian Wilson (Beach Boys), Frankie Vallie and some other people I don't remember. It was amazing. Except for those guys I don't remember, apparently they weren't memorable.

3.) I spent a year teaching Barbara Kingsolver's daughter. She was a very nice lady and I had no idea, at the time, she was a famous author.

I will create a special section for LDS church leaders. You see, I have a talent for making a fool of myself around them. I could also name this section, "The reason why Matt will never be an apostle". (Me.)
1.) Elder David B. Haight. Once we were coming out of the Mesa Temple and this OLD man was walking really SLOWLY in front of us, then he STOPPED to look at the picture of the Savior. Bah!! Since, as many of you know, patience is not a virtue I have developed, I ran around him. Very impatient. However, I noticed about five feet later that he had a whole entourage around him and on a walkie talkie I heard someone say, "HE'S almost to the front door." Wait, I'm almost to the front door...who are they talking about? I turn around and LOOK at the old man... I'm stupid.

2.) L. Tom Perry. I few years ago I went to a wedding for a girl I grew up with. Her grandfather was a general authority and she married the grandson of Bruce R. McConkie. It was Crowded and I just wanted to find a parking space. And there was this little OLD woman driving in the middle of the parking lot, right for me! I was getting visibly upset and was debating the virtues of just running her down. I was THIS CLOSE when I noticed her driving companion. Or rather husband...L. Tom Perry. Only this would happen to me.

3.) Gordon B. Hinckley. Yes, I do know how to pick them don't I? But this isn't actually all that bad. I was working in Cougar Stadium (or whatever they call it now) and I was in the Presidents Loge (Press Box at the Top) during a U of U vs. BYU game. I was emptying the trash (like a good custodian) when SOMEONE interrupts what I am doing and EXPECTS me to take his trash. After getting mildly annoyed at the stop in my progression out of the crowded room, I looked up and accepted the President of the LDS churches trash. I have so calmed down in the last few years. A person can only embarrass herself so much. Or so I hope. Oh, he was much shorter than me...

4.) Ann Madsen. Who is this you ask? Okay, she is Truman Madsen's wife. He is a Mormon author. I guess. Having never read any books by him, I will have to take Matt's word for it. I met Ann Madsen when she backed up into my car in front of the RB on BYU campus. She seemed nice and sweet until she tried to pin the whole accident on me! What the...? BYU Police advised us to fix our own damage, since we were both at fault. Since my car sustained no permanent damage, this was fine with me. As her car sustained over a thousand in damages, she was fuming mad. But she did take the time to recommend her Religion class to me. No thank you.

You know, all these stories seem like nothing compared to my dad's. In fact, my stories are REALLY lame compared to his. He has met everyone from Cary Grant to Jimmy Stewart. And all the lame-o athletes in between. Oh, and my mom used to date Steve Martin! Haha, no, really she just turned him down for a date. She said he was too boring.

Now I don't think I'm special or anything because of this. I just thought it was funny. I know I am forgetting some things. Especially the athletes. But I'm not so worried about that.

Disclaimer: I really don't hate athlete's. I just don't find most of them particularly special. Although this disclaimer probably isn't convincing you of anything.

2 comments:

princess jen said...

That was hilarious!! You have been much more brushed than I!

Kari said...

I had my mom over for dinner tonight. I knew I was missing stories and she told me a couple more. My dad is currently at the Democratic Convention. I can just imagine what fun he is having there! (I'm not kidding, apparently he is have a great time.) Go figure.