Yes, I have been doing a lot of that lately. So I won't be finishing the cookbook in time for Christmas and I won't have a perfectly clean house. But I am realizing that I maybe should have said no to being room mom.
I transferred Elijah over to his new school and didn't think it would be a big deal that I didn't know what all the traditions were for the school. Or also, that he was my oldest. No big deal right? I was a teacher, how hard could this be?
After spending the month of September getting items ready for the Silent Auction held this last week, it didn't occur to me that I should be doing more then that. Halloween Party? What's that? It's not like we had Halloween Parties when I was in grade school and as a teacher we shunned Halloween. (This is all a lie. We always did this and Elijah had one last year in Kindergarten.) For some reason I didn't even think about the party. But my first clue came when I read Annie's blog. Suddenly I knew I had fudged up. It is a week until Halloween and I knew I needed to act fast.
But of course I avoided the teacher. If I was supposed to do it, I really didn't want to know. But alas, that didn't stop her. She called me while I was at my parents and gave me the basic info. Thank goodness for Annie's blog, Jenna and Facebook. There were a million different ideas ripe for the picking with little effort on my part. So now I have a fantastic party planned and the only trick is getting parents to come it.
Seriously, why do people sign up for things they don't want to do? I have a whole list of people who have excuses about why they can't help. But I think I can handle twenty hyper, sugar addled first graders, five loud and obnoxious centers(or is that another description of the first graders?) with the help of the teacher and maybe Matt. I am also supposed to start working that day, take the kids trick or treating, while manning my house and possibly the mall (that is so not going to happen.) I also have to get my kids into costume and Ally has her Halloween class party that day. I'm exhausted already. (On the bright side, I'm not putting roofing shingles on my parents roof this year as well! That is a Halloween I wouldn't want to do again.)
Wish me luck!
An Update
1 year ago



4 comments:
Holy Cow!! Our K teacher is planning the whole party. I offered to bring drinks for everyone (both classes!) and that's my part. I can't wait to hear what all you're doing! Good luck this week.
you looked good dishing out donuts last night! i am one of the slacker parents this year. but i knew i would be so i didn't sign up for anything. room mothers work hard! kudos to you!
Jackson's K class is not having a party at all. I was kindof sad about that. But they are doing some "special" learning activities in their centers that day. So I'm going to help anyways. I have no idea what that means, but we'll see. Good luck with your party!
Very proud of you for learning to say No. It is a very hard thing to do. I am sure the carnival was great. I am in charge of a district wide trick or treat promoting after school programs tomorrow night. I CAN"T WAIT till it's over.
ALSO I admire you for being a room mother... my mom never could do that as she worked and now so do I. Your kids will really treasure when they are older I promise.
Post a Comment