Anyway, back to my story. I am singing in a quartet on Sunday. I'm not quite sure how it happened.
My friend asked, "Can you sing?"
Because I am a braggart, I said, "Yes.....I do really well in a group."
Wrong answer.
I think I should have defined group. When I said group, I meant a whole choir. So singing in a quartet is not quite what I had in mind. But I am thinking, it's only in Relief Society. The worst the old ladies are going to be able to do is throw Hymn books at me. I'm tough, I can take it. I don't really think they are going to be able to hear me anyway. Our ward is somewhat on the geriatric side. Not many wards can "boast" of an old age home in their boundaries. Only the few, the proud, the lucky. (ie. the people who didn't look at the ward boundaries before they bought their house.)
BUT, it's not just the quartet on Sunday. I am also a Primary Teacher. My ward has not performed their Primary Program yet. Our ward likes to wait until about mid-November. Like a lot of other people, they are singing "I Am A Child of God" with the third verse Dec Cant(?) (I spell this wrong to showcase my music cluelessness.) I volunteered to sing with the little girls, figuring I could "keep them on track." I soon realized my error when all the cuties were looking at me to lead them and I wasn't doing so hot following the music. Let alone sounding like I was NOT singing in falsetto.
As a kid I would have assumed the lady in her 30's would know what she was singing. I don't have the heart to tell them, I was hoping they could lead me. Hmmm....this was not one of my stellar moments. So now I am trying to learn this part so I can look competent on the pulpit. But I was wondering, does anyone know a flute player who could play this part to keep us on track? I'm not saying I can't do it. Not REALLY. I'm sure I would eventually get this down pat. Sometime in April.
Unfortunately I have two weeks.
PS. Leslie and Kerri, you know I'm (mostly) kidding right? Have no fears. I CAN do this.



12 comments:
Your words inspire all sorts of confidence, Kari. :)
I know. I hope I don't break glass.... *stress*
I wish I could be in RS on Sunday! As for the Primary program everything is going to be perfect..............right?!?
Oh yes, just perfect. I promise. *smile*
oh Kari you will do just fine. I thank you for stepping up to the plate, I need you.. We can do it!
Kerri is right its gonna be perfect. Who you singing with Sunday? I too wish I could be there too
I'm sinning with Marie, Vicky and Marcelle. I'm feeling slightly outclassed right now.
Honey? I think we need to talk about this "sinning" with those ladies. Either your voices will be sinfully beautiful or we need to set up each of you to meet with the Bishop.
*grin* Um...yea...about that. You see...um...I don't know how to say...
Okay, just kidding. You know I'm the worst speller in existence. Thank goodness for spell check. Although the darned thing failed me. *shakes fist*
I like to sing. But I don't necessarily like people to hear me. Good luck with the Primary Program. I love that descant (I'm not sure if I spelled it correctly either) and in my head I sing it perfectly, but probably not so well in real life! Pray really hard and try your best!
I think your way of spelling looks WAY better than my way. I'm actually more nervous about the quartet then the descant right now.
since i'm going to be in relief society with you, kari, do you want to record the quartet? i'm sure you would like to share it at the next family party.
Oh Kari, haven't you learned by now that when someone from church asks you if you can do something, the answer is always no?? ;)
Post a Comment